POM

Old Apr 27th 2024, 10:29 pm
Just Joined

Pauly_1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default POM

So who knows where this originates?
Old May 2nd 2024, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: POM

Originally Posted by Pauly_1
So who knows where this originates?
Hi I have found this in a newspaper article (Australian)

By 1912 another rhyming slang term for ‘immigrant’ had appeared: pomegranate(also written as pommygranate and Pommy Grant). In the same year the first evidence for two abbreviations of pomegranatepom and pommy—can also be found. Pomegranate (along with its variants) and jimmygrant coexisted for some time.

Prior to that immigrants were called:

An early, derisory term for an immigrant in Australia was the rhyming slang
jimmygrant (sometimes written as Jimmy Grant), recorded in 1844. Jimmygrant was further abbreviated in the 1870s to jimmy:

So it really has nothing to do with Prisoners etc as Poms started to be heard after conviction prisoners ceased, which I always did find bizarre when I was called a Pom by an Australian born person.

Old May 2nd 2024, 10:35 am
Just Joined

Pauly_1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by brits1
So it really has nothing to do with Prisoners etc as Poms started to be heard after conviction prisoners ceased, which I always did find bizarre when I was called a Pom by an Australian born person.
On the contrary actually.

I'd been led to believe it was POME and Prisoner of Mother England. Also heard the pomegranate one but it is actually relating to prisoners. They was kept in the Millbank prispn in London before being shipped to Australia. The ships all had identification on the front and the ships bringing the said prisoners had POM on the front.

Prisoners of Millbank.

Been in Australia 17 years and only found this out the other day lol
Old Today, 6:46 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pauly_1
On the contrary actually.

I'd been led to believe it was POME and Prisoner of Mother England. Also heard the pomegranate one but it is actually relating to prisoners. They was kept in the Millbank prispn in London before being shipped to Australia. The ships all had identification on the front and the ships bringing the said prisoners had POM on the front.

Prisoners of Millbank.

Been in Australia 17 years and only found this out the other day lol
I was called a Pom quite often by born and bred Aussies I use to find this a strange thing to say really as they were (for the most) really calling their past relatives, where as I had no family connection to convicts sent to Australia in the past.