Banking in KSA

Old Apr 28th 2024, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

Newopps is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Banking in KSA

Originally Posted by KickingUpDust
Appreciate I am late to this thread, but hoping for some clarification.

Am I right in saying that the simplest, most effective way to transfer to UK is:

Saudi Bank ( SAB etc) convert to USD locally in KSA, then straight USD transfer to Revolut USD account ( in UK).

Then internal GBP conversion in Revolut?

Thanks for clarification guys,

K
Absolutely. In the SAB app, select your SAR current account, then Make a transfer, then Global transfer, reselect your account, select your linked HSBC USD currency account (abbreviated HCA), input how much to transfer in SAR and then confirm. Funds will be instantly remitted in USD into your HSBC USD account at the pegged rate, minus a tiny cost (0.16% of the mid-point market rate in my experience.) Then move the USD funds internally into the HSBC Global Money account, keeping them in USD. Then you can remit them anywhere globally at zero cost (no interbank charges) into a corresponding USD account, whether that be Revolut, Interactive Brokers, or anywhere else you choose to convert them into your local currency.
Old Apr 29th 2024, 8:13 am
Just Joined

KickingUpDust is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HelpfulExpat
There are many options depending if you prefer intrabank transfer (SAB-HSBC), international transfer (USD-USD) or best rate.

Forex services like currencytransfer.com allow you to send SAR and receive GBP so there are no fees involved, only the exchange rate to consider.
Thank you
Old Apr 29th 2024, 8:14 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Newopps
Absolutely. In the SAB app, select your SAR current account, then Make a transfer, then Global transfer, reselect your account, select your linked HSBC USD currency account (abbreviated HCA), input how much to transfer in SAR and then confirm. Funds will be instantly remitted in USD into your HSBC USD account at the pegged rate, minus a tiny cost (0.16% of the mid-point market rate in my experience.) Then move the USD funds internally into the HSBC Global Money account, keeping them in USD. Then you can remit them anywhere globally at zero cost (no interbank charges) into a corresponding USD account, whether that be Revolut, Interactive Brokers, or anywhere else you choose to convert them into your local currency.
Thanks. Really helpful
Old Apr 29th 2024, 8:15 am
Just Joined

Thinking about this further, is it not possible to transfer directly from SAB to Revolut in USD?

K
Old Apr 29th 2024, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

Newopps is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by KickingUpDust
Thinking about this further, is it not possible to transfer directly from SAB to Revolut in USD?

K
Yea, but I'm pretty sure you will get correspondent bank charges doing that. There's also the option to transfer SAR directly to a Revolut SAR account. I tried that once but the funds never hit and were eventually returned after a few weeks, each bank blaming the other. I never tried again after that. My routing via HSBC CA and Global Money achieves what I want with near zero cost and no hassle.
Old May 8th 2024, 7:32 am
Just Joined

raghavjha is an unknown quantity at this point

Exciting to see the evolution of banking in KSA, especially with the rise of NBFCs. Obtaining an NBFC license is definitely a game-changer in this dynamic landscape. Looking forward to seeing how these changes shape the future of finance in the Kingdom
Old May 8th 2024, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

BMH77 has a reputation beyond reputeBMH77 has a reputation beyond reputeBMH77 has a reputation beyond reputeBMH77 has a reputation beyond reputeBMH77 has a reputation beyond reputeBMH77 has a reputation beyond reputeBMH77 has a reputation beyond reputeBMH77 has a reputation beyond reputeBMH77 has a reputation beyond reputeBMH77 has a reputation beyond reputeBMH77 has a reputation beyond repute

Yea, but I'm pretty sure you will get correspondent bank charges doing that. There's also the option to transfer SAR directly to a Revolut SAR account. I tried that once but the funds never hit and were eventually returned after a few weeks, each bank blaming the other. I never tried again after that. My routing via HSBC CA and Global Money achieves what I want with near zero cost and no hassle.
I've been transferring USD from Riyad Bank to the Wise Bank (based in USA) and it costs next to nothing. Then transfer the USD to my AUS bank. It has cost me no more than 20SAR on the KSA side and no more than $20 on the Wise side.