Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

IVA increase to 23% on PT electricity

IVA increase to 23% on PT electricity

Old Apr 27th 2024, 7:40 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute
Default IVA increase to 23% on PT electricity

I see IVA has been increased to 23% from April this year, to offset any actual cost reduction later on I guess
I am with EDP and current costs, for simple tariff is €0.3544/day for 6.9Kw potencia and €0.1943kwH, both excluding IVA
Anyone else give comparison costs with others?

Last edited by wellinever; Apr 27th 2024 at 7:44 am. Reason: change costs
Old Apr 27th 2024, 7:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IVA increase to 23% on PT electricity

Spain increased IVA on electricity bills back to 21% from the start of this month as well, because the price of electricity in the wholesale market dropped below €45 per mwh and that threshold was apparently written into the Royal Decree under which the IVA rate was lowered temporarily because of the cost of living crisis. Prices for domestic energy have dropped a lot in the last couple of months, I was paying €0.1751 per kwh with Iberdrola and have just switched supplier to a company called Imagina, now paying €0.1160 per kwh (same price 24 hours a day, which I prefer). The price is fixed for 3 years although I can end the contract at any time and switch to a new supplier without penalties.
Old Apr 27th 2024, 9:02 am
BE Enthusiast

appman999 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wellinever
I see IVA has been increased to 23% from April this year, to offset any actual cost reduction later on I guess
I am with EDP and current costs, for simple tariff is €0.3544/day for 6.9Kw potencia and €0.1943kwH, both excluding IVA
Compare at https://balcaodigital.e-redes.pt/home, generally accurate. Ensure your usage is also reasonably accurate. Just comparing kWh is misleading as standing charges also vary.
Old Apr 27th 2024, 9:56 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

I see IVA has been increased to 23% from April this year, to offset any actual cost reduction later on I guess.
Where did you get that from?

From what I've seen, the current situation is that for customers contracting up to 6.9kVA, the first 100kWh per 30 day period are charged at 6% IVA and anything above that at 23%. That has been the situation for some time now, and carried over into this year's budget, which is only now coming under discussion in Parliament as regards alterations as a result of the installation of the new government.
Old Apr 28th 2024, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

1Steve is an unknown quantity at this point

I just switched to GALP from Iberdola and I am on a Bi-horario tariff paying 6.9kW - 0.45290/day and vazio - 0.09490 kW/h and fora vazio - 0.14230 kW/h. It is about the best deal on the regulated market at the moment but if your consumption is high then you should consider switching to the indexed tariffs where your prices are determined by the wholesale price and vary from day to day from what I understand. Be aware that there may be a big price increase on the 1st June as ERSE has proposed to increase the TAR ( grid tariffs) quite substantially and they hope the utility companies will reduce their tariffs accordingly but pigs might fly too. Basically this is because the wholesale price is currently about 44 euros MW/h and the budgets for 2024 were assuming a price of 88 euros MW/h so it has left a big deficit and we are the lucky ones who have to pay for it. So the cheaper the electricity price is on the wholesale market the more we have to pay in our bills to compensate. I am still not sure what the price rise will actually be but could be as much as 2 or 3 euro cents kW/h . It will be a similar increase to the increase we had on the 1st January.
Old Apr 29th 2024, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

I thought I had seen a note from EDP saying that prices would be reduced by 10% from June??

Just went to my EDP web online, OH god they have messed about with it all again, cant find anything now....

But according to my records I used a total of 1500 KwH in 2023 which at e0.19 kwh and daily charge of e0.35 plus IVA on all would amount to e680.00,
So given your highest cost of e0.14 and daily charge, plus IVA on them that would give a cost of e460 for the 1500Kw.H
So even on fairly low usage that a considerable saving.

Just looked at usage from meter readings since 20Jan 2024 until 29 Apr 2024
Vazio = 113
Ponta = 135
Cheias = 205
total = 453
So thats about the same as 2023 with most usage in winter months (cold this March if I remember)
Dunno if hours stack up between the 2, but where would you see the e0.14 and e0.09 coming in on that usage, with Iberola?
Her are the rates for EDP, for the simple single tariff and the bi horaria

On face of it its a looks like a 20% saving with Iberola even on my usage.
Are they OK to deal with??
Online account etc I usually take my own readings and upload to EDP on 17th of the month bu it is a Smart meter
Old Apr 29th 2024, 4:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

I thought I had seen a note from EDP saying that prices would be reduced by 10% from June??

Just went to my EDP web online, OH god they have messed about with it all again, cant find anything now....

But according to my records I used a total of 1500 KwH in 2023 which at e0.19 kwh and daily charge of e0.35 plus IVA on all would amount to e680.00,
So given your highest cost of e0.14 and daily charge, plus IVA on them that would give a cost of e460 for the 1500Kw.H
So even on fairly low usage that a considerable saving.

Just looked at usage from meter readings since 20Jan 2024 until 29 Apr 2024
Vazio = 113
Ponta = 135
Cheias = 205
total = 453
So thats about the same as 2023 with most usage in winter months (cold this March if I remember)
Dunno if hours stack up between the 2, but where would you see the e0.14 and e0.09 coming in on that usage, with Iberola?
Her are the rates for EDP, for the simple single tariff and the bi horaria

On face of it its a looks like a 20% saving with Iberola even on my usage.
Are they OK to deal with??
Online account etc I usually take my own readings and upload to EDP on 17th of the month bu it is a Smart meter
I think the prices being quoted are GALP rather than Iberdola.
It made me think maybe I should change but GALP have very high daily rate but low kWh rate so with my negligible summer usage I would be worse off until the autumn.
As usual I'll check then.
Old Apr 29th 2024, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

wellinever Yes the suppliers should decrease their rates to compensate for the rise in TAR but the rise in TAR may be about 30% so a 10% reduction from EDP will just allow them to coin it in if the MW/h rate stays low all summer. As for your usage Cheias + Ponta = fora de vazio and vazio obviously is vazio. So you would pay 0.14230 euros for 340 kW's and 0.09490 euros for 113 kW. I applied online for GALP and it only took about 10 minutes, I have not had my first bill yet as I just switched this month. If you have a smart meter you do not need to send in your readings as all is done automatically by Eredes. If you do not have an account registered with Eredes then I would recommend you to register as you can get all the info you require online. I have storage heaters that I load up on cheap rate during the night in the winter and I am most interested in the cheapest vazio contracts as I use monthly about 500kW of vazio during the winter. During the summer I have low usage so I pay more for the day rate but its swings and roundabouts in my case.
Old Apr 29th 2024, 7:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alternatively change supplier to lower daily, higher kWh rate in the Spring and change supplier to higher daily, lower kWh in the autum?
Old Apr 29th 2024, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by appman999
Alternatively change supplier to lower daily, higher kWh rate in the Spring and change supplier to higher daily, lower kWh in the autum?
Oops I forgot I now have a plugin Hybrid car that I charge up on cheap rate most nights, I knew I had worked it out that it was a good tariff for me but my memory is not what it used to be, I mean how could I forget the car . There is no hope for me
Old Apr 29th 2024, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

I know the feeling Steve.
Thanks for you input.
Have they `cottoned on` to the idea of a fee if you leave them?
Gonna look closely at this in next few days, but as I said on the face of it, over a year I would save over e100 at these rates.
I pay by direct debit to EDP Commercial, but I believe that Redes give them readings each month, and have in fact sent me bills in the past, so I ended up with 2 bills for same leccy !!
I get charged 23% IVA on some of my usage, every month, even tho I am more often than not using less than 100 KWH in the month.
Me thinks time to go to have a chat at their local office.
Bad enough still paying for a gaff in UK that i visit for 2/3 months a year. Earlier this year I spent 4 days in UK, and with that plus the daily charge, it cost me £80 for 3 months inc that 4 days.
This is all getting ridiculous, for me anyway, so any savings will be good
Old Apr 30th 2024, 9:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Just looked more deeply into the difference (for me) between EDP and Iberola, both Simple tariff and Bi Horaria.
Looks like I am already on the just about the best rate for me

Old Apr 30th 2024, 9:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Why are you looking at Iberdrola rather than GALP which I think 1Steve was talking about?
Old Apr 30th 2024, 9:31 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

[...]I get charged 23% IVA on some of my usage, every month, even tho I am more often than not using less than 100 KWH in the month.
Me thinks time to go to have a chat at their local office.
I'm not sure how any supplier would explain that. They're not setting the IVA rate or the rules for its application, so unless their billing programme's not working properly - in which case I'd expect there to be numerous complaints - there's no obvious justification that I can see.
Old Apr 30th 2024, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

wellinever I am with GALP, I switched from Iberdrola.
Here is a link to the prices for GALP, GALP Prices

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.