Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Ring / Nest / Arla

Ring / Nest / Arla

Old Apr 28th 2024, 1:06 pm
Gold-Helmeted Member

captainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ring / Nest / Arla

Looking at getting one of these. My brother has a Ring doorbell in the US and keeps bugging me to get one as I work in our loft and everytime DPD or someone else turns up with a delivery, I have to charge down three flights of stairs to answer the door before they drive off.

Unfortunately, I've gone to all three vendors, and even though they show some EU countries, you cannot enter an address at checkout for Portugal. Ring told me they don't support Portugal.

Ideally if I am going to get a video doorbell, I want one where I have a system I can add security cameras and other extensions to. But since none of these apparently support Portugal, it looks like I'm out of luck.

Maybe this lack of technological options is why Portuguese people all have massive dogs that shit everywhere and aggressively bark at anyone walking past?
Old Apr 28th 2024, 1:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really nice
Default Re: Ring / Nest / Arla

Ring Door bell is owned by Amazon and is a bit old tech as there are other products in the market with better spec and lower cost (you have to pay a subscription as well as buying the device). All of the alternatives are easily available in Portugal so no need to be dismissive of our hosts. Suggest you look at Google Nest, Arlo, TP Link or Reolink but if you insist on a Ring then they are easily available from Amazon Germany. Leroy Merlin, Makro, Worten, Staples and others, all have equipment for this job. Normally in stock

Last edited by MrBife; Apr 28th 2024 at 1:41 pm.
Old Apr 28th 2024, 11:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

Or you can put your phone number on your door.

Not only Portuguese people keep that sort of dog.

I have one.
Old Apr 29th 2024, 4:43 pm
Gold-Helmeted Member

captainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrBife
Suggest you look at Google Nest, Arlo, TP Link or Reolink but if you insist on a Ring then they are easily available from Amazon Germany. Leroy Merlin, Makro, Worten, Staples and others, all have equipment for this job. Normally in stock
Looked at Google Nest already. This suggests that you cannot purchase Nest Aware subscriptions in Portugal.

https://store.google.com/ie/product/nest_aware?hl=en-GB

click Country availability and delivery restrictions, scroll down
Programs and subscriptions
Nest Aware
Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, United States (except Puerto Rico)
Do you know this not to be true? Because it seems to rule Nest out as I suggested originally.

Last edited by captainflack; Apr 29th 2024 at 5:33 pm.
Old Apr 29th 2024, 6:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really nice

From my fairly limited experience of Nest, the subscription can be in any country where they will accept it and the doorbell (or other gadget) can be almost anywhere in the world since the connection is not IP specific - a google search may give more clarity and there are specific forums. I have come across folks with a doorbell at their property in Portugal connected to a Nest Hub in UK + to their phone; but no need to tinker unless you enjoy doing it - just choose a brand that will allow you to do what you want. Perhaps ask one of the equipment suppliers in Portugal?

PS. I use Reolink but Eufy is another brand to check.
Old Apr 30th 2024, 11:29 am
Gold-Helmeted Member

I am looking to Arlo. It seemed to let me create an account on their site for Portugal, but their store does not ship to Portugal. It seems there are some vendors who sell their stuff in Portugal though. If I can get a subscription, that seems to work.

Arlo's site is a bit weird in that it does have quite a few EU countries, then an "other EU" option with an EU flag. But if you select that, you get prices in GBP and location hardcoded to UK when you try to checkout. Not sure they got the memo on Brexit.

Also looking at Reolink, that seems to do similar thing and has their site in Portuguese and seems to ship to Portugal too from what I can see.

Old May 6th 2024, 6:47 am
Happiest in the sun

Score76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond repute

https://a.aliexpress.com/_EwgO6Fz

I can highly recommend these. They work with the Tuya / Smart Life apps, way cheaper than Ring and no subscription.