Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Saudi compounds - managing nurseries / childcare

Saudi compounds - managing nurseries / childcare

Old Apr 28th 2024, 4:43 pm
Just Joined

Mtksa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Saudi compounds - managing nurseries / childcare

myself and my wife are considering a move to Saudi to live in a compound and are exploring job opportunities.

My wife would be seeking a job once we were settled as she is currently on mat leave.

We have two sons, one who would be 5-6 months and one who would be 3 years old.

It would be great to know how residents who are parents in compounds who both work tend to balance work and getting home for nursery / preschool pickup?

I've checked one compound Antara and their nursery only looks like it can care for kids until 2-3pm. Do Saudi companies typically (I work in marketing and my wife in agile project management) allow you to leave work for this or work from home ?

Great to know any solutions !

thanks for any info!!!
Old Apr 29th 2024, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

clownshow is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Saudi compounds - managing nurseries / childcare

Originally Posted by Mtksa
Do Saudi companies typically (I work in marketing and my wife in agile project management) allow you to leave work for this or work from home ?
No. They don't.

The solution is you pay for a nanny.

Old Apr 29th 2024, 10:29 am
Just Joined

Mtksa is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for this. What time do Saudi business typically finish work. I’ve read in some places they start early but leave the office at say 2-3pm?
Old Apr 29th 2024, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mtksa
Thanks for this. What time do Saudi business typically finish work. I’ve read in some places they start early but leave the office at say 2-3pm?
Usually 8.30am to 5.30pm is the working day.

Some public sector finish earlier, usually out the door by 3pm, but not all.

It used to be that expats rocked up early and were home by 2pm, but that was in the 80s/90s. Everyone I know is basically 9-5pm plus or minus a half hour.
Old Apr 29th 2024, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

leepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to behold

My husband is usually in his office by about 07.45 - his choice so as to get parking. Most of his colleagues are in by 8.30 or so. Last night they all left around 7.30pm. Not every day of course - I would say usually they leave around 5.30pm. However, they are a senior team so the expectation is that they work until the work is done.

Last edited by leepee; Apr 29th 2024 at 12:20 pm. Reason: Correcting grammar
Old Apr 29th 2024, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by leepee
My husband is usually in his office by about 07.45 - his choice so as to get parking. Most of his colleagues are in by 8.30 or so. Last night they all left around 7.30pm. Not every day of course - I would say usually they leave around 5.30pm. However, they are a senior team so the expectation is that they work until the work is done.
Ah yes traffic and parking in KSA.....

Add in 1 to 2 hours per journey for Riyadh traffic, for even the shortest of trips and that's at 3pm and 3am! The only time there isn't a traffic jam is on Friday morning. The standard of driving is horrendous (watching tv whilst sending whatsapps is standard) and on every journey here you will see accidents occur before your very eyes or be involved in a near miss. No joke.

Parking also non-existent anywhere central.