Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Four stages of culture shock

Old Oct 1st 2003, 8:35 am
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Four stages of culture shock

In reference to the recent 'Negativity' thread, and the idea that 'life is what you make' (which I largely agree with), I think it is important that people know about the 'four stages of culture shock'.

I haven't seen this mentioned on here before, but people's negativity can often be placed in context when you think about which stage of culture shock they might be in. (It's also very useful to know that the negativity you're feeling can also be only temporary)

Culture shock sounds like something you get when you go to Russia or India or somewhere, but you can just as easily get it when going to to Aus or NZ - they are after all, different cultures.

These are the four stages of culture shock: Honeymonn period, Rejection, Regression and Isolation, and Acceptance. Everyone goes through them to different degrees and at different speeds, and some people might never get out of the Rejection phase!

I've posted a full explanation of each stage below.

Which stage are you in? Methinks there's at least a few here stuck in the Regression and Isolation phase!

Honeymoon Period

While preparing to relocate and during the first days or weeks in the new country, a person will experience a Honeymoon Period during which he or she will feel extreme joy and enthusiasm. Responding to the new environment with fascination, an individual will enjoy the differences in fashion, food, social customs, etc. This period is exhilarating, full of observation and discoveries, lasting a few days to a few weeks. Like most honeymoons, however, this stage eventually ends. "When an individual sets out to study, live or work in a new country, he or she will invariably experience difficulties with language, housing, friends, schoolwork..."

Rejection

The next phase of Culture Shock Syndrome is referred to as the period of Rejection. This stage is marked by criticism, resentment, and anger. When an individual sets out to study, live or work in a new country, he or she will invariably experience difficulties with language, housing, friends, schoolwork, and understanding the idiosyncrasies of the local culture, often resulting in frustration. The Rejection period can be triggered by the realization that, as an outsider in a new culture, language or misunderstandings of cultural cues can often make the simplest task seem like a daunting challenge. Furthermore, because the high expectations set during the Honeymoon Period appear much farther out of reach, the individual feels disillusioned.

Regression & Isolation

The extreme letdown experienced during the Rejection Period prompts the individual to become critical of his new environment--of the people, their culture, and of all the perceived differences with the culture at home. This letdown often propels an individual into the stage of Regression & Isolation. In this stage, the culture from which the individual has come is idealized. For example, an Italian student studying in the U.S. for a semester may indiscriminately view his Italian university, past experiences or friendships as superior, regardless of any problems inherent to those relationships. The student risks further isolation from the new environment. Symptoms exhibited during this period include anxiety, sadness, homesickness, and anger. These feelings manifest themselves in changes in behavior: inappropriate anger over slight delays and minor frustrations, changes in sleep patterns, compulsive eating and/or drinking, irritability, poor concentration, and unexplainable crying. The stage of Rejection and Regression is variable in length but can last up to 6-8 weeks.

Adjustment & Adaptation

Gradually the crisis of regression and isolation is resolved allowing the individual to begin recovery in the Adjustment & Adaptation stages. To resolve these feelings, the individual has to employ particular skills and resources essential for adjustment, as described in Coping with Culture Shock. -> http://www.highway2health.com/travel...tudent/023.cfm
Old Oct 1st 2003, 8:44 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Thats a very interesting post, i'm sure that everyone of us on here will experience those four things at some point, guess its how you deal with it and the support you get at the time which makes or breaks you...............
Old Oct 1st 2003, 9:25 am
Nov 27th 2003: Brisbane

BrisbaneBrummie is an unknown quantity at this point

Great thread!

I think the key is, to be aware that you may or will go through these stages......once your aware of them they should be slightly easier to deal with shouldn't they? Well, theory dictates so anyway!

I know it's not on the same level, but as an Englishman living in Wales for 15 years, has been like a good rehearsal, any Englishman living in Wales, Scotland or Ireland will know what I mean!
But I have made a decent life here, with good work mates, friends and social activities, a full life. I believe I can do the same in Australia, although I am aware that it is a much bigger scale.
Old Oct 1st 2003, 9:30 am
Forum Regular

Bella will become famous soon enough

Great post. The four stages make a lot of sense. It's a bit like the stages of bereavement. I guess it's important to hang on in there and not make any rash decisions until at least after a year.
Old Oct 1st 2003, 9:33 am
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah the trick is almost to relish each phase - have a really grumpy bitchy whinging phase (but in private - or on this forum) and then just wait patiently for acceptance to kick in!!

It can be a long long road if things aren't going in your favour though (eg job hunting, house hunting etc etc)

As I said in another thread just now, you're undertaking two of the most stressful things in life - moving house, and finding a new job, not to mention losing friends and family - people should be under no illusions that this is going to easy!!

It's not easy, but eventually rewarding....

if after a couple years, you still don't like your new country, then fair enough, but people should at least wait until they're into stage four before deciding!
Old Oct 1st 2003, 9:39 am
tennisoz

Default Re: Four stages of culture shock

Originally posted by jandjuk
In reference to the recent 'Negativity' thread, and the idea that 'life is what you make' (which I largely agree with), I think it is important that people know about the 'four stages of culture shock'.

I haven't seen this mentioned on here before, but people's negativity can often be placed in context when you think about which stage of culture shock they might be in. (It's also very useful to know that the negativity you're feeling can also be only temporary)

Culture shock sounds like something you get when you go to Russia or India or somewhere, but you can just as easily get it when going to to Aus or NZ - they are after all, different cultures.

These are the four stages of culture shock: Honeymonn period, Rejection, Regression and Isolation, and Acceptance. Everyone goes through them to different degrees and at different speeds, and some people might never get out of the Rejection phase!

I've posted a full explanation of each stage below.

Which stage are you in? Methinks there's at least a few here stuck in the Regression and Isolation phase!

Honeymoon Period

While preparing to relocate and during the first days or weeks in the new country, a person will experience a Honeymoon Period during which he or she will feel extreme joy and enthusiasm. Responding to the new environment with fascination, an individual will enjoy the differences in fashion, food, social customs, etc. This period is exhilarating, full of observation and discoveries, lasting a few days to a few weeks. Like most honeymoons, however, this stage eventually ends. "When an individual sets out to study, live or work in a new country, he or she will invariably experience difficulties with language, housing, friends, schoolwork..."

Rejection

The next phase of Culture Shock Syndrome is referred to as the period of Rejection. This stage is marked by criticism, resentment, and anger. When an individual sets out to study, live or work in a new country, he or she will invariably experience difficulties with language, housing, friends, schoolwork, and understanding the idiosyncrasies of the local culture, often resulting in frustration. The Rejection period can be triggered by the realization that, as an outsider in a new culture, language or misunderstandings of cultural cues can often make the simplest task seem like a daunting challenge. Furthermore, because the high expectations set during the Honeymoon Period appear much farther out of reach, the individual feels disillusioned.

Regression & Isolation

The extreme letdown experienced during the Rejection Period prompts the individual to become critical of his new environment--of the people, their culture, and of all the perceived differences with the culture at home. This letdown often propels an individual into the stage of Regression & Isolation. In this stage, the culture from which the individual has come is idealized. For example, an Italian student studying in the U.S. for a semester may indiscriminately view his Italian university, past experiences or friendships as superior, regardless of any problems inherent to those relationships. The student risks further isolation from the new environment. Symptoms exhibited during this period include anxiety, sadness, homesickness, and anger. These feelings manifest themselves in changes in behavior: inappropriate anger over slight delays and minor frustrations, changes in sleep patterns, compulsive eating and/or drinking, irritability, poor concentration, and unexplainable crying. The stage of Rejection and Regression is variable in length but can last up to 6-8 weeks.

Adjustment & Adaptation

Gradually the crisis of regression and isolation is resolved allowing the individual to begin recovery in the Adjustment & Adaptation stages. To resolve these feelings, the individual has to employ particular skills and resources essential for adjustment, as described in Coping with Culture Shock. -> http://www.highway2health.com/travel...tudent/023.cfm
Yeah, good one. I will subconsciously look at each post now and try and place the poster in one of the four categories! The most vitriolic threads in this forum are when the 'honeymooners' argue with the regressed and isolated!! I'm an Aussie, 23 years in Scotland, well in the adjustment and adaptation phase here!

TennisOz

Old Oct 1st 2003, 9:40 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Took me about six months to get to stage 4. Be prepared, all this stuff is very real and stages 2 and 3 are extremely frustrating and bloody hard work, notably i've never really had any homesickness though. Everyone will have different times, the more you have set up (I came with job to go) the shorter it will be. Make sure your family is prepared (by which I mean acknowledge in advance that this WILL happen to you, at least then you will recognise what the hell is happening to you)

try this previous thread:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ight+months+on

Last edited by jayr; Oct 1st 2003 at 9:43 am.
Old Oct 1st 2003, 9:43 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Watch out for stage 5.

Loss of style

Bad hair

Rising inflexions

You lil bute mate
Old Oct 1st 2003, 9:46 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bondipom
Watch out for stage 5.

You are then ready for citizenship and to be one of those people who only meets their family if Cilla Black has a series of Suprise Suprise running in 25 years time...
Old Oct 1st 2003, 10:31 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

WOW!!.. this thread sums up the whole process in a nutshell..well done JandJ !!

I have already been through all that here in NZ... my negativity thread was a much less articulate and in depth attempt to get across what you have just said.

I went through all those phases, and it wasnt until i had reached the acceptance phase that i realised how wrong i had approached everything. That is why i now have a much more positive attitude. Maybe once you have been through this once you sink or swim!!
Old Oct 1st 2003, 10:52 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

It's a little bit similar to the whole applicaiton process, isn't it?

First there's the excitement of deciding to emigrate, the vision of a perfect paradise on the other side of the world just waiting for you to come along and slot right in...doesn't seem hard, a few forms and you'll be there.

Then there's the Red Tape stage when you start investigating the DIMIA website more closely, print off the six million forms, work out the expense and become daunted by just what it's going to take to get your visa.

Next comes the worst bit: the waiting. The ranting (via this forum) at DIMIA or AHC and the length of time it takes to get anything done. The problems with family who may not be supportive. The bleak prospect of selling up and packing up (buyers, movers, etc). The fact that the end never quite seems in sight.

Then there's the acceptance stage. It's a two-phase thing: you accept that the whole process isn't as easy as you thought and that it's going to take a while. You dig in. And once you've reached that stage of acceptance and resigned yourself to the wait, what should hit the doormat, but your visa 'acceptance'!

And that sets off the four stages described by JandJ...
Old Oct 1st 2003, 11:03 am
tennisoz

Originally posted by bundy
It's a little bit similar to the whole applicaiton process, isn't it?

First there's the excitement of deciding to emigrate, the vision of a perfect paradise on the other side of the world just waiting for you to come along and slot right in...doesn't seem hard, a few forms and you'll be there.

Then there's the Red Tape stage when you start investigating the DIMIA website more closely, print off the six million forms, work out the expense and become daunted by just what it's going to take to get your visa.

Next comes the worst bit: the waiting. The ranting (via this forum) at DIMIA or AHC and the length of time it takes to get anything done. The problems with family who may not be supportive. The bleak prospect of selling up and packing up (buyers, movers, etc). The fact that the end never quite seems in sight.

Then there's the acceptance stage. It's a two-phase thing: you accept that the whole process isn't as easy as you thought and that it's going to take a while. You dig in. And once you've reached that stage of acceptance and resigned yourself to the wait, what should hit the doormat, but your visa 'acceptance'!

And that sets off the four stages described by JandJ...
Nice one too bundy (as in bundy and coke?)

TennisOz

Old Oct 1st 2003, 11:04 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by tennisoz
Nice one too bundy (as in bundy and coke?)

TennisOz
'Tis indeed. The drink of choice...always have a small supply here in the UK for curing winter sore throats since it heralds its medicinal properties on the back of the bottle!
Old Oct 1st 2003, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

Fantastic , we have been through all the stages to !!! We are at the last one now , nearly a year down the line , but i do sometimes get a little teary , but not as much as i did in the first 6 months or so . Good read that was.
Joanne
Old Oct 1st 2003, 11:45 am
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Some honeymoon periods dont end, Just marry the right women. I did.

The 4 stages were are very well observed and Stage 5 :scared:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.