Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Has Anyone Done Or Got A Quote For Doing The Packing Yourself?

Has Anyone Done Or Got A Quote For Doing The Packing Yourself?

Old Jul 30th 2004, 3:47 pm
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough
Default Has Anyone Done Or Got A Quote For Doing The Packing Yourself?

This is the second option for bringing the price our our quote down.

So, has anyone done the packing themselves? How much did you save? What was the company? Do they still do door to door?

So many questions, but we're getting that close, I need to know.

Thanks,

Steve.
Old Jul 30th 2004, 3:52 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has Anyone Done Or Got A Quote For Doing The Packing Yourself?

Originally posted by SteveBannister

So, has anyone done the packing themselves? How much did you save? What was the company? Do they still do door to door?

Thanks,

Steve.

How much are you intending to shift? A whole house, or just a few boxes?

I know Loose only had a few boxes to shift and he packed himself, using Seven Seas. I think Simone packed her own (part of) container too.
Old Jul 30th 2004, 3:56 pm
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by bundy
How much are you intending to shift? A whole house, or just a few boxes?

I know Loose only had a few boxes to shift and he packed himself, using Seven Seas. I think Simone packed her own (part of) container too.
797 cuft. Best part of a 20' container.
Old Jul 30th 2004, 4:01 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

797 cuft. Best part of a 20' container.
Right.....I still reckon it's possible to do your own. Try PMing Simone.
Old Jul 30th 2004, 4:03 pm
She's a bird, you know

This link any use? Not really had time to study it but it says something about packing yourself...

http://www.aussiemove.com/aus/removals.asp
Old Jul 31st 2004, 1:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Teresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the rough

Thanks,

Steve.
Steve

we did our own, saved a fortune, container for 20ft was just over £1000, can let you know fees this end as just got clearing agent to sort everything out as its arrived...

Port fees - $390 approx

taking container from wharf to warehouse and unpacking - $580 approx

clearing agent fee - $350

(all above subject to 10% gst)

then the Quarantine officer charges $100 per half hour of checking, apparantly you can do it in this time if you go down to dock too and help clearing agent as obviuosly you know where stuff is that he wants to see (no gst)

we have been quoted $80 per hour (plus gst) to get to house and they can unpack if you like, or hire a van and do it yourself.........

Hope this helps, as you can see saves a fortune on total package and hasn't been a hassle...........Simone's stuff has arrived but think they are waiting for details on fridge she has, that was last update she had on Sunday...

will let you know how it all goes when we get clearance this week hopefully

Teresa
Old Jul 31st 2004, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

Marlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant future

Hi Steve,

Do you remember "Poggle"? Here`s an answer from her to a thread some time ago, I`m going to email her to find out more info` on it for you. To my knowledge everything went smoothly for them, but it was really hard work.

hi growler!

have you considered doing your own packing? if so , you can save hundreds of pounds.

I highly recommend 'u pack we ship' in conjuction with Octain forwarders, can give you details if interested.

we shipped a very full 20ft container from London to Melbourne total cost door to door just under £2,000.00 inc all costs for wrapping, customs, everything!.

Good luck!

I`ll get back to ya,

Loraine
Old Jul 31st 2004, 2:52 pm
I Know What's Going On!

Originally posted by Swifts
Steve

we did our own, saved a fortune, container for 20ft was just over £1000, can let you know fees this end as just got clearing agent to sort everything out as its arrived...

Port fees - $390 approx

taking container from wharf to warehouse and unpacking - $580 approx

clearing agent fee - $350

(all above subject to 10% gst)

then the Quarantine officer charges $100 per half hour of checking, apparantly you can do it in this time if you go down to dock too and help clearing agent as obviuosly you know where stuff is that he wants to see (no gst)

we have been quoted $80 per hour (plus gst) to get to house and they can unpack if you like, or hire a van and do it yourself.........

Hope this helps, as you can see saves a fortune on total package and hasn't been a hassle...........Simone's stuff has arrived but think they are waiting for details on fridge she has, that was last update she had on Sunday...

will let you know how it all goes when we get clearance this week hopefully

Teresa

This sounds good. What was the name of the company you used? Do you have a phone number?
Old Jul 31st 2004, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

This sounds good. What was the name of the company you used? Do you have a phone number?
Steve
Lariss and Sandra did theirs on their own also cos Sandra said she saved £3500
Old Jul 31st 2004, 8:20 pm

chris n will become famous soon enoughchris n will become famous soon enough

Sounds a great idea - would be really interested in what people think they have saved. Having said that, the thought of us doing it ourselves.....

Chris
Old Jul 31st 2004, 10:50 pm
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

Isn't there a problem getting insurance if you pack yourself? Or just take a chance and don't bother with it?
Old Jul 31st 2004, 11:57 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

From what I have read on here the insurance is worth pigeon shite anyway.

I ahve a quote for the company sandra and larissa used which is £1500 ish for the 20ft container to be dropped off outside my house and left there for 3 hrs for me to fil it up and then for it to get to Fremantle.

There are a few costs on top of that when it arives in Oz but I cant see it being more than $1000 so it should in total cost less than 2k to get the lot door to door rahter than well over £3k is you get some oik to pack it for you and shove it in the container

I'm never gonna earn a grand in a day so would rather do a days work than pay over a grand for someone else to do it for me.

Any one wanna go halves on a 40FT from sussex in the next couple of months

Kala
Old Aug 1st 2004, 12:33 am
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

Originally posted by kala
From what I have read on here the insurance is worth pigeon shite anyway.

Kala
Kinda like my sentiments regarding insurance in general.
Old Aug 1st 2004, 9:18 am
BE Enthusiast

gdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to all

Hi Kala

could we possibly have the company's details?

Thanks
Old Aug 1st 2004, 10:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Edens Landing, half way between Brisbane and Gold coast
Paul&Ann-Marie will become famous soon enough

We're taking next to nothing so the costs involved are marginal.for 75 cubic feet we have been qouted 450 notes door to door.they will wrap,pack and list all items, load it onto a container,complete export formalities and pay all ocean frieght and shipping charges .Importation,customs clearance and delivery to residence ( 30 mile radius of brisbane ).Unpacking and setting up and removal of all waste packaging.
Apparently, we could have packed it ourselves but then it wouldn't be insured.
Thought we'd leave it to the professionals.

Hope this is a good price and not sure if there are any hidden costs in there.Having never done this before we don't really know what we're doing.
Paul

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.