Orthodontists

Old Sep 7th 2004, 7:56 pm
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute
Default Orthodontists

Hi

Oldest son is up for braces, although he's borderline. Treatment will last approx 18 months. Not sure what to do. Do we start the process here and finish when we get to Melbourne or do we leave it until we get to Melbourne? If we did start here, we've been quoted around £1.5K. How does that compare in Oz and what is the dentist situation like (good, bad, indifferent??). Also, would the orthodontist here take our son if they knew we won't be finishing the treatment with them and would they still want their full fee????

Many thanks for any advice flung my way!!

D D
Old Sep 7th 2004, 8:02 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Orthodontists

Originally Posted by DollyDaydream
Hi

Oldest son is up for braces, although he's borderline. Treatment will last approx 18 months. Not sure what to do. Do we start the process here and finish when we get to Melbourne or do we leave it until we get to Melbourne? If we did start here, we've been quoted around £1.5K. How does that compare in Oz and what is the dentist situation like (good, bad, indifferent??). Also, would the orthodontist here take our son if they knew we won't be finishing the treatment with them and would they still want their full fee????

D D
Heres one just up the road from me DD, why not send them an E mail asking what you did above.
Go to Contact us then appointments & his E mail addy is in there.
Old Sep 7th 2004, 8:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DollyDaydream
Hi

D D
This was discussed quite recently, unfortunately Dental work here is VERY EXPENSIVE. Many people were quoting figures of 8 and 10 thou for braces, now bearing in mind the wages that is massive. The good side is every street corner has a dentist waiting with an appointment tomorrow (not surprising at those prices ). Children under 16 can get fillings and extractions done once a year at school, all else you pay for.

You really need to do a search the thread will come up.
Old Sep 7th 2004, 8:48 pm
Deb

Deb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
This was discussed quite recently, unfortunately Dental work here is VERY EXPENSIVE. Many people were quoting figures of 8 and 10 thou for braces, now bearing in mind the wages that is massive. The good side is every street corner has a dentist waiting with an appointment tomorrow (not surprising at those prices ). Children under 16 can get fillings and extractions done once a year at school, all else you pay for.

You really need to do a search the thread will come up.

Hi there,

Took your advice and done a search for `orthodontists`, I have a rough idea now what it costs. My problem is my eldest daughter who is 13 is currently recieving treatment from an orthodontist here in the UK, I am sure by the time we hopefully come to Oz she will be have had her fitted braces removed and just have retainers, if not will it be expensive to have her braces removed?
I then have the problem of my youngest daughter who is 10, my dentist informed us that she will also need braces so I will have to start saving up as from what I have read on the threads it is an expensive game over in Oz!

Thanks

Deb
Old Sep 8th 2004, 12:11 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deba34
Hi there,

Took your advice and done a search for `orthodontists`, I have a rough idea now what it costs. My problem is my eldest daughter who is 13 is currently recieving treatment from an orthodontist here in the UK, I am sure by the time we hopefully come to Oz she will be have had her fitted braces removed and just have retainers, if not will it be expensive to have her braces removed?
I then have the problem of my youngest daughter who is 10, my dentist informed us that she will also need braces so I will have to start saving up as from what I have read on the threads it is an expensive game over in Oz!

Thanks

Deb
My kids have both had braces here. The first one cost $4000 (in 2000) and the second one (in 2002) about $4500. This is the total cost for everything including the fitting, removing, retainers etc plus the countless appointments they have to have for adjustments and follow-ups. Orthodontists usually bill you in installments so you don't have to find the whole amount up-front and it also helps if claiming from a Health Fund (as the cost is spread over more than one year).

I found our Orthodontist fantastic. I've spent nearly seven years going there! (from the time we were referred with first son to now) and they've always been fast, friendly and efficient. Some doctors could take a lesson from their appointments system which was very well-organised.
Old Sep 8th 2004, 7:21 am
BE Enthusiast

SuzeM is an unknown quantity at this point

I took my son to the orthodontist only this week, the quote he gave for braces (or banding) is $4800 all in, including appointments over the next 18-24 months, and billed in installments.

Compared to the NHS where treatment is free for kids it does seem very expensive here, but the dental work both myself and the kids have had done seems far superior to any we had done in the UK. My sons had fissure seals done 2 yrs ago in the UK which should have lasted some years, however on the xrays here (they like to xray new patients) it showed that the seals were not finished properly, hence food had got between them and one of my sons actually had a cavity under the seal, which had to be treated and redone.

I've now got the children on the list at the local Dental Hospital where they can have free check ups every 2 years and free treatment (except for orthodontic, which they don't do) and although they are dental students, they have tutors overseeing all the work and are therefore very thorough and in effect have 2 check ups everytime, so its worth ringing the local dental school.

Sue
Old Sep 8th 2004, 7:43 am
Deb

Deb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond repute

I found our Orthodontist fantastic. I've spent nearly seven years going there! (from the time we were referred with first son to now) and they've always been fast, friendly and efficient. Some doctors could take a lesson from their appointments system which was very well-organised.[/QUOTE]

Hi guys,

Just want to say thanks for your replies, like you stated even though it may be expensive it sounds as if you receive tip top treatment and the fact you can spread your payments will be a big help!

Thanks again

Deb
Old Sep 8th 2004, 9:12 am
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

QUOTE] Hi guys,

Just want to say thanks for your replies, like you stated even though it may be expensive it sounds as if you receive tip top treatment and the fact you can spread your payments will be a big help!

Thanks again

Deb [/QUOTE]

Yep, ditto what Deb's said!! Thanks so much for your input, has made things a lot clearer as to what to do.

Thanks again,

D D