Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bringing Over Wooden Furniture

Bringing Over Wooden Furniture

Old Jan 11th 2008, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

Emmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to all
Question Bringing Over Wooden Furniture

We are coming over to Sydney for 12-24 months and were going to bring all our furniture over with us as it's really difficult finding decent, if any, furnished acommodation. BUT our big problem is our furniture. Most of it is wooden and we have a Chinese antique cabinet which being on the rather old side, though varnished, is worrying me a bit. I'm scared my furniture will get stuck in quarantine and never been seen again while we spend heaps of dollars for its quarantine holiday.
Has anyone any experience on the wooden furniture front and can you help? Costs & time spent waiting for it to finish its quarantine visit? The Government website has just confused and scared me!
Help! Anyone else who's shipped over furniture please reply!!
Love Ems x
Old Jan 12th 2008, 2:38 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bringing Over Wooden Furniture

most of our furniture is wooden (cabinets, coffee table, king size bed) and we had no problems. it's all pine and all treated - as long as the wood you've got is treated (which I'd imagine it has been) then no problems
Old Jan 12th 2008, 3:33 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know why people get hung up on this subject so much. Treated wood and furniture is fine. Unless you are bringing twigs with seeds, moss or fungus on the end you aren't likely to have a problem.
Old Jan 12th 2008, 7:49 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridie
most of our furniture is wooden (cabinets, coffee table, king size bed) and we had no problems. it's all pine and all treated - as long as the wood you've got is treated (which I'd imagine it has been) then no problems
same here - all our furniture is wooden and had no problem at all - we did have one piece which wasn't treated.......so we treated it just in case

Last edited by Mrs Jackaroo; Jan 12th 2008 at 8:11 am.
Old Jan 12th 2008, 8:10 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emmis
We are coming over to Sydney for 12-24 months and were going to bring all our furniture over with us as it's really difficult finding decent, if any, furnished acommodation. BUT our big problem is our furniture. Most of it is wooden and we have a Chinese antique cabinet which being on the rather old side, though varnished, is worrying me a bit. I'm scared my furniture will get stuck in quarantine and never been seen again while we spend heaps of dollars for its quarantine holiday.
Has anyone any experience on the wooden furniture front and can you help? Costs & time spent waiting for it to finish its quarantine visit? The Government website has just confused and scared me!
Help! Anyone else who's shipped over furniture please reply!!
Love Ems x
The Chinese cabinet should be OK, but if it old check it for signs of woodworm. If its been in the UK (where I assume you are) for some years, and its been varnished etc it should be fine though, More modern untreated pieces from Asia and Africa can be more problematic.
Just make sure you declare all the wood so that AQIS can inspect if they feel it necessary.
Old Jan 12th 2008, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

Emmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to all

Originally Posted by worzel
I don't know why people get hung up on this subject so much. Treated wood and furniture is fine. Unless you are bringing twigs with seeds, moss or fungus on the end you aren't likely to have a problem.
People get "hung up" on the subject because in every book/website you read they mention the problem with wooden furniture and that if customs have any doubt that there might be infestation which may have come even from the time in storage, that they'll keep the furniture in quarantine at your expense... that's why I'm "hung up"!!
Our problem is that we've got old antique furniture and we have no idea whether it's been treated or not. It has been heavily lacquered though...
Old Jan 12th 2008, 8:23 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emmis
People get "hung up" on the subject because in every book/website you read they mention the problem with wooden furniture and that if customs have any doubt that there might be infestation which may have come even from the time in storage, that they'll keep the furniture in quarantine at your expense... that's why I'm "hung up"!!
Our problem is that we've got old antique furniture and we have no idea whether it's been treated or not. It has been heavily lacquered though...
If its heavily lacquered then its fine By 'treated' I mean varnished - so you should be fine

FWIW I was 'hung up' on everything before we came out - at the end of the day you want to make everything as easy as possible dont you?
Old Jan 12th 2008, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Pollyanna for your message. Sorry I didn't realise you'd said about the Chinese cabinet already, before I went off again on my rant!! We do have a cabinet from Indonesia which is not old.... I've checked for signs of woodworm and don't think there's any. And thanks Mrs Jackaroo! I just don't want too much hassle for a non-permanent move!
Anyway, thanks for all the replies. Let's hope it gets through ok!
Ems x
Old Jan 13th 2008, 6:11 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Surely it would be cheaper to just buy some cheap stuff over here if you're only here 1-2 years? You can get secondhand stuff from ebay or gumtree.