Reload this Page >

Driving Lessons/Test.

Driving Lessons/Test.

Old May 12th 2008, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

Scott and Kaz will become famous soon enough
Default Driving Lessons/Test.

Hi,

Has anyone taken driving lessons and then sat their driving test in Australia?

Looks like i wont have time to pass my test in Scotland and going from what i have learned of Sydney a car will be a necessity.

Also how do people find it driving in Sydney/Australia, is it easier, harder or are there just ****holes on the road in every country??

Scott
Old May 12th 2008, 12:52 pm

Sheff_Sparky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Driving Lessons/Test.

Originally Posted by Scott and Kaz
Hi,

Has anyone taken driving lessons and then sat their driving test in Australia?

Looks like i wont have time to pass my test in Scotland and going from what i have learned of Sydney a car will be a necessity.

Also how do people find it driving in Sydney/Australia, is it easier, harder or are there just ****holes on the road in every country??

Scott
Wendy has I think. Ask her. She knows everything anyway
Old May 12th 2008, 12:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sheff_Sparky
Wendy has I think. Ask her. She knows everything anyway

I've not done it in Sydney tho. It may be different there than it is here - they may require more hours or have a different system. It definintely busier there
Old May 12th 2008, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by Wendy

I've not done it in Sydney tho. It may be different there than it is here - they may require more hours or have a different system. It definintely busier there
See? I told you she knows everything.
Old May 12th 2008, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Wendy,

Always glad to meet someone who knows more than me....it so rarely happens!!

Can you give me and idea of cost for lessons, sitting test. Do they have the awful theory test?

Scott
Old May 12th 2008, 9:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Wendy,

Always glad to meet someone who knows more than me....it so rarely happens!!

Can you give me and idea of cost for lessons, sitting test. Do they have the awful theory test?

Scott

Well here's what I had to do and what my mate had to do - this is for Adelaide.

We both sat the theory test - to pass that you need to answer a series of multi-choice questions, there are 10 on who has right of way which you must get 100% on and there are 42 on road rules and you must get 32 of them right to pass. (http://www.raa.net/page.asp?TerID=192 )Once you have done that you can then get your learners permit.

I then booked a series of lessons with my instructor and I took the log book method. The instructor charged $55 per hours lesson, and I had 10 with him. For the log book method you need to have done 50 hours of driving, with 10 being at night - anyone who has had a full licence for 2 years or more can sign these off but there are 26 tasks in the log book that only an accredited instrutor can sign off. Once I had passed all the tasks and had 50 hours logged I took the book down and got my P plates.

My mate took the driving test, I think she had about 5 lessons then sat a driving test like you do in the UK.
Old May 12th 2008, 10:07 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

I did mine here also in Qld....never been behind the wheel for oh em mear on 20 years.....had to sit the theory test which cost $16 to get my L's had to pay for L licence cant remember how much but wasnt that much. had 5 x 1 hr lessons @ $45 each sat my test $40 PASSED wooo hooo then got P licence $45 which is changed to an Open licence aftre a year. Hope this helps. And yes there are just as mant arse holes here and very impatient ones at that
Old May 12th 2008, 11:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Streaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond repute

son did his over here in Perth. First off before you are allowed to get your learners permit to drive on the road you have to pass a theory test, then it's lessons, he paid about $40 for an hour - you can also drive with anyone who has had a full license for 2 years (much cheaper option). When you feel ready you take the pratical driving test, if you pass you cannot still drive on your own you have to do 25 hours of supervised driving (but I did that with him so saved on instructors fees) in a range of conditions and on different types of roads - all logged down, which includes the milage driven, when that is completed you then have to sit a hazardous test (same sort of thing as the theory, only it's just hazardous driving situations and you have to spot them) when that is passed you have your 'P' plates for 2 years. Good luck
Old May 13th 2008, 6:15 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for all the help and advice.

Looks like i will be sitting my test in Oz then!!

Scott
Old May 13th 2008, 6:57 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Avoid taking your driving test in NSW. You now have to do 120 hours of logged driving before you can take your practical test. Might not sound much but it takes ages.
Old May 13th 2008, 10:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by NickyC
Avoid taking your driving test in NSW. You now have to do 120 hours of logged driving before you can take your practical test. Might not sound much but it takes ages.

120 hours!!!

It took me nearly a year to get 50
Old May 13th 2008, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

120 ****** hours, i dont want to drive a truck.

Seriously, that sounds a hell of a long time considering i've done 20 hours worth of lessons here and just cant get a Test before i want to leave.

Will my girlfriend who holds a UK driving licence and who moved to Oz last week be able to sign the logged hours?

Not that i would lie about it but how closely do they check?

Dont think i could face 120 hours of lessons, also dont think i could face 120 hours with the girlfriend.
Old May 13th 2008, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

They upped it last year from 50 hours. I reckon it was done in an effort to ensure that kids (who let's face it make up most of the learner drivers) are a whole year older before they can get their hands on a car. It would take the average learner two years to clock up 120 hours. My kids did the 50 hours and it took them about a year each.

Forcing kids to have more driving experience AND an extra year of maturity is an attempt to stop the number of P-plate deaths and accidents that are so common. I also reckon that a lot of people fudge their log-book (and the RTA know it) which is why they made the new hours 120 - they didn't just double it to 100.

You could probably get away with fudging a few hours in your log book but don't forget that these examiners are testing people every day. They can easily tell the difference between a person who's only done 30 driving hours and someone who's done 100.

Edited to add that the NSW RTA will make allowances for overseas learners:
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/...ers/index.html

'If you are transferring your interstate and overseas learner licence after 1 July 2007, you will be exempt from the 120 hours log book requirements if you pass the Driving Test. However, if you fail the test, you will be issued with a NSW learner licence and be required to hold your licence for 12 months (if under 25 years of age) and complete 120 hours of log book practice (including 20 hours of night driving) before a further test can be attempted. The RTA will recognise any log book hours recorded in your home state provided appropriate documentation is presented.'

Last edited by NickyC; May 13th 2008 at 12:01 pm.
Old May 13th 2008, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

Dont know whether to laugh or cry, talk about peressure!!

So, lets see if i've got this correct......

I get one shot at passing my driving test in Sydney, if i fail i then become a provisional driver who has to do 120 hours of logged driving (20 during the night) and then sit my test again.

Ok, i was a bit worried about sitting my test before and normally i can handle pressure, but to put it all on the line with one test would give it a new meaning.

might need a drink before hand to control the nerves!!
Old May 13th 2008, 1:45 pm

Dont know whether to laugh or cry, talk about peressure!!

So, lets see if i've got this correct......

I get one shot at passing my driving test in Sydney, if i fail i then become a provisional driver who has to do 120 hours of logged driving (20 during the night) and then sit my test again.

Ok, i was a bit worried about sitting my test before and normally i can handle pressure, but to put it all on the line with one test would give it a new meaning.

might need a drink before hand to control the nerves!!
Worry about it when you get there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.