Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

CP in Canada, not in India

CP in Canada, not in India

Old Mar 28th 2002, 1:05 am
Inon

Default CP in Canada, not in India

In the I-140 petition my lawyer wrote Chennai, India as "consulate which needs to be
notified if this petition is approved and if any requested AOS cannot be granted"
(see Part 4 of I-140 petition form)

But now I am in Canada and would like to pursue CP in Canada thru a diff lawyer.
Can I still begin the CP process in Canada as opposed to India as mentioned in
the petition?

All help is highly appreciated.

Old Mar 28th 2002, 9:35 pm
Sylvia Ottemoel

Default Re: CP in Canada, not in India

inon wrote:

> In the I-140 petition my lawyer wrote Chennai, India as "consulate which needs to
    > be notified if this petition is approved and if any requested AOS cannot be
    > granted" (see Part 4 of I-140 petition form)
    >
    > But now I am in Canada and would like to pursue CP in Canada thru a diff lawyer.
    > Can I still begin the CP process in Canada as opposed to India as mentioned in the
    > petition?

Because Chennai, India was designated as the consular post, you will have to have the
case transferred to Montreal. It's possible this can be handled by calling and
writing to NVC. Your new attorney should be fully familiar with the necessary
process. If he or she does not know what to do, you should get another attorney.

Old Mar 28th 2002, 11:35 pm
Inon

Default Re: CP in Canada, not in India

On Thu, 28 Mar 2002 14:05:24 -0800, Sylvia Ottemoeller
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Because Chennai, India was designated as the consular post, you will have to have
    >the case transferred to Montreal. It's possible this can be handled by calling and
    >writing to NVC. Your new attorney should be fully familiar with the necessary
    >process. If he or she does not know what to do, you should get another attorney.
    >
Thank you very much Sylvia Ottemoeller. I appreciate your time.