ACS versus DIMA points for work experience

Old May 6th 2002, 4:30 pm
Leo

Default ACS versus DIMA points for work experience

Hello,

I am about to submitt application to ACS and have a question that may stop me cold.

I do understand from reading this newsgroup that MCSE + 4 years of IT experience
would get me 60 points. I am thinking this would give me ASCO 2231-79 (Computing
Professionals) classification.

I have total 4 years and 3 months of IT work experience. Would I be able to take that
same work experience for 10 additional points for skills with DIMA?

I am getting 110 points taking into account 10 points as work experience in DIMA
application. If not, I get no more than 100.

Please advise.

Thanks in advance.

../Leo

Old Jul 18th 2002, 5:21 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ACS versus DIMA points for work experience

Originally posted by Leo
I do understand from reading this newsgroup that MCSE + 4 years of IT experience would get me 60 points. I am thinking this would give me ASCO 2231-79 (Computing Professionals) classification.

I have total 4 years and 3 months of IT work experience. Would I be able to take that same work experience for 10 additional points for skills with DIMA?
Leo,

Do you have any other qualification other than the MSCE?

An MCSE is treated as an Aussie AQF Diploma, and will be in Group B. This means you will need 4 years of IT experience to augment your MSCE to a suitable level for migration. Hence the deeming date.

If the ACS uses the 4 years of IT work experience together with your MSCE to assess you positively, you will NOT be able to count the same 4 years of experience to get the bonus 10 points nor to satisfy the basic requirements of recent work experience in the past 12 of 18 months.

Hence, the consequence may be your PR application may be refused outright for not having met the basic requirements.

Peter
Old Jul 18th 2002, 6:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the rough

I have a quick question for ya PT....(I mentioned it in another post as well actually)....weeell....is it right that in most cases the experience after the qualification is what is counted in the 4 years?...or is this different when the MCSe is involved i.e. any experience beforehand is counted?. I got a positive assessment with an MCSE and BTEC OND in IT, they mentioned both of them in the ACS letter and didnt give a deem date....I sent em a letter /(after I sent my app) to say that I wanted the deem date to be the date of completion of OND + 4 years after which would give me enough leeway for my 3 of 4 years experience for 10 points. Do you reckon its a sound plan?
Old Jul 18th 2002, 9:20 pm
George Lombard

Hi Peter, Leo, Mr Flibble,

I think the safest way of understanding what ACS and DIMIA do is to put the issue of
deeming dates this way:

a) ACS only issue a deeming date with respect to RPL applications
b) ACS will accept group B qualifications with work experience prior to obtaining
the qualification if it is sufficiently well documented
c) DIMIA will only apply the deeming date guillotine to work experience where
there is a skills assessment document with a deeming date. Because of the ACS
procedure mentioned at a) above, only RPL cases require further work experience
after the 4 years.

Cheers

George Lombard

www.austimmigration.com.au

ptlabs wrote in message <[email protected]>...
    >Leo wrote:
    > > I do understand from reading this newsgroup that MCSE + 4 years of IT experience
    > > would get me 60 points. I am thinking this would give me
ASCO
    > > 2231-79 (Computing Professionals) classification. I have total 4 years and 3
    > > months of IT work experience. Would I be
able
    > > to take that same work experience for 10 additional points for skills with DIMA?
    >
    >
    >
    >Leo,
    >
    >Do you have any other qualification other than the MSCE?
    >
    >An MCSE is treated as an Aussie AQF Diploma, and will be in Group B. This means you
    >will need 4 years of IT experience to augment your MSCE to a suitable level for
    >migration. Hence the deeming date.
    >
    >If the ACS uses the 4 years of IT work experience together with your MSCE to assess
    >you positively, you will NOT be able to count the same 4 years of experience to get
    >the bonus 10 points nor to satisfy the basic requirements of recent work experience
    >in the past 12 of 18 months.
    >
    >Hence, the consequence may be your PR application may be refused outright for not
    >having met the basic requirements.
    >
    >Peter
    >
    >
    >
    >--

Old Jul 19th 2002, 12:15 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks George.

I'm posting this so that anyone in the same or similar situation as I am in can have a reference point.

ACS assessed me as having a Group A qualification. I have:

1) a bachelor of engineering (electrical) honours degree from a country where a bachelor's degree is considered on-par with Australia's bachelor's degree in the CEP. My transcripts show a healthy (but not overwhelming) amount of computer related subjects. I highlighted these subjects when I sent my transcripts to the ACS.

2) no extra certification: MCSE, MCSD, CCNA, CCNP or others.

3) professional (Ordinary) Membership of a national computer society, but not the BCS or the NZCS. (I'm a member of the Singapore CS)

4) slightly less than 4 years of IT experience, and have documentation to prove all of them.

Hope this helps any worried B.Eng holder who switched lines upon graduation!

Cheers,
Peter
Old Jul 19th 2002, 12:19 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

Originally posted by MrFlibbleUK
I sent em a letter /(after I sent my app) to say that I wanted the deem date to be the date of completion of OND + 4 years after which would give me enough leeway for my 3 of 4 years experience for 10 points. Do you reckon its a sound plan?
Let me guess, you've gotten no response from the ACS as yet. I wonder why that doesn't surprise me. They do seem to ignore most queries.

I think you should consider looking up the various IDD rates in the UK and pick the cheapest one, and call these guys up, if you really want to settle it once and for all.

George's response may help, but right now, I'm a bit too elated to sit down and try to comprehend what he's written!

Peter
Old Jul 19th 2002, 6:57 am
BE Enthusiast

MrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the rough

No I meant a letter to DIMA to explain this...sorry for the confusion! I actually send an email to ACS last night to clarfiy this situation and I had an email waiting for me this morning!!!!!! They say they actually took my BTEC OND in IT plus 4 years as enough. So now I need to maybe get them to put it in writing so I can send it to DIMA.

Thanks everyone for your help and advice.
Old Jul 19th 2002, 8:05 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

Originally posted by MrFlibbleUK
They say they actually took my BTEC OND in IT plus 4 years as enough. So now I need to maybe get them to put it in writing so I can send it to DIMA.
That's great news. Yup, get them to put their words on paper.

Cheers
Peter
Old Jul 19th 2002, 12:20 pm
Leo

George,

Great, you have clarified the whole issue.

I just responded to the other post I sent a few days ago after I have received a
successful assessment from ACS including MODL and NO deeming date.

I will certainly put down work experience points in my appliction which will
go out soon.

Thanks for everyone's help and clarification.

../Leo

"George Lombard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>.. .
    > Hi Peter, Leo, Mr Flibble,
    >
    > I think the safest way of understanding what ACS and DIMIA do is to put the issue
    > of deeming dates this way:
    >
    > a) ACS only issue a deeming date with respect to RPL applications
    > b) ACS will accept group B qualifications with work experience prior to
    > obtaining the qualification if it is sufficiently well documented
    > c) DIMIA will only apply the deeming date guillotine to work experience where
    > there is a skills assessment document with a deeming date. Because of the ACS
    > procedure mentioned at a) above, only RPL cases require further work
    > experience after the 4 years.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > George Lombard
    >
    > www.austimmigration.com.au
    >
    >
    > ptlabs wrote in message <[email protected]>...
    > >Leo wrote:
    > > > I do understand from reading this newsgroup that MCSE + 4 years of IT
    > > > experience would get me 60 points. I am thinking this would give me
    > ASCO
    > > > 2231-79 (Computing Professionals) classification. I have total 4 years and 3
    > > > months of IT work experience. Would I be
    > able
    > > > to take that same work experience for 10 additional points for skills with
    > > > DIMA?
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >Leo,
    > >
    > >Do you have any other qualification other than the MSCE?
    > >
    > >An MCSE is treated as an Aussie AQF Diploma, and will be in Group B. This means
    > >you will need 4 years of IT experience to augment your MSCE to a suitable level
    > >for migration. Hence the deeming date.
    > >
    > >If the ACS uses the 4 years of IT work experience together with your MSCE to
    > >assess you positively, you will NOT be able to count the same 4 years of
    > >experience to get the bonus 10 points nor to satisfy the basic requirements of
    > >recent work experience in the past 12 of 18 months.
    > >
    > >Hence, the consequence may be your PR application may be refused outright for not
    > >having met the basic requirements.
    > >
    > >Peter
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >--

Old Jul 20th 2002, 5:54 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

Please update your details at http://www.austimeline.com too, if you haven't already done so.

Cheers,
Peter
Old Jul 20th 2002, 8:20 am
Jaj

George

>On Fri, 19 Jul 2002 06:09:25 -0700, "George Lombard" <[email protected]> wrote: Hi
    >Peter, Leo, Mr Flibble,
    >
    >I think the safest way of understanding what ACS and DIMIA do is to put the issue of
    >deeming dates this way:
    >
    >a) ACS only issue a deeming date with respect to RPL applications

I recall you posting in early June that someone from the ACS told you that all
assessments have a date of effect? Have things changed in the meantime?

>b) ACS will accept group B qualifications with work experience prior to obtaining
    > the qualification if it is sufficiently well documented
    >c) DIMIA will only apply the deeming date guillotine to work experience where
    > there is a skills assessment document with a deeming date. Because of the ACS
    > procedure mentioned at a) above, only RPL cases require further work
    > experience after the 4 years.

See my point above.

I also recall ISCAH posting that the deeming date issue affects people with Group B
qualifications plus 4 years work experience as well RPL applicants:
http://www.iscah.com/newsletter46.htm

Have they misinterpreted things too, or are the requirements in a state of flux?

I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Jeremy

>
    >Cheers
    >
    >George Lombard
    >
    >www.austimmigration.com.au
    >
    >
    >ptlabs wrote in message <[email protected]>...
    >>Leo wrote:
    >> > I do understand from reading this newsgroup that MCSE + 4 years of IT
    >> > experience would get me 60 points. I am thinking this would give me
    >ASCO
    >> > 2231-79 (Computing Professionals) classification. I have total 4 years and 3
    >> > months of IT work experience. Would I be
    >able
    >> > to take that same work experience for 10 additional points for skills with
    >> > DIMA?
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>Leo,
    >>
    >>Do you have any other qualification other than the MSCE?
    >>
    >>An MCSE is treated as an Aussie AQF Diploma, and will be in Group B. This means you
    >>will need 4 years of IT experience to augment your MSCE to a suitable level for
    >>migration. Hence the deeming date.
    >>
    >>If the ACS uses the 4 years of IT work experience together with your MSCE to assess
    >>you positively, you will NOT be able to count the same 4 years of experience to get
    >>the bonus 10 points nor to satisfy the basic requirements of recent work experience
    >>in the past 12 of 18 months.
    >>
    >>Hence, the consequence may be your PR application may be refused outright for not
    >>having met the basic requirements.
    >>
    >>Peter
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>--
    >