Deeming Date Nightmare

Old Aug 3rd 2002, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

Mike & karen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Deeming Date Nightmare

Hi All

What a rollercoaster of a week.
On Monday received an e-mail from STNI Victoria saying we have been accepted for State Sponsorship and AHC London would be informed to process my application. Fantastic news.

On Friday received a phone call from AHC London saying my application could be rejected. So after submitting my application in May 2001 and waiting in limbo land for 14 month's, my application is deemed invalid.
WHY !!!!!!!!!

Well the reason being, is because of my deeming date from my trade recognition, I don't make the 'Basic Requirements' with regards to work experience.
Basic requirements requires you that you are:

Under 45 Yrs of age = Pass
Fluent in English = Pass
Trade recognised = Pass
Work experience = Fail (You need 12 month's out of 18 work experience, after your Deeming Date)

If someone can correct me, please do, but from all the info on the Net and info packs I do not recall any thing about Deeming dates from your trade recognition.

The Basic Requirements require you to have 12 out of 18 month's work experience from your Deeming Date. You can only lodge your application 12 month's after your Deeming date. So beware if you have lodged your application with in the 12 month's after your Deeming date, you will be rejected. I applied 2 month's after my Deeming date.

I am really annoyed in the fact I had to wait in limbo land for 14 month's, when my application should have been refused at the first hurdle. It only came to light because of my State Sponsorship, other wise I would of had to wait 20 month's only to be told my application was being rejected.

But after all that, there is light at the end of the tunnel and actually they done me a favour.

I shall look in to resubmitting my application, now I have the Basic Requirements and the State Sponsorship. My application can be prioritised and should take 4/6 month's. 'Should' being the operative word. So I will be in the time frame of 20 month's which AHC London have quoted.

Mike & Karen
Old Aug 3rd 2002, 5:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Snickers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Deeming Date Nightmare

Sorry to hear that, what a bummer, I know its no comfort but at least you have got a second chance. stick with it and I'm sure you have everyone's support

Paul
Old Aug 3rd 2002, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

wannabee sheila is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to hear your bad news.
I can't believe that you've had to wait 14 months before being given the bad news. That's soooooo unfair. You'd think that applications were checked as they were submitted for stuff like this, wouldn't you.
Anyway glad to hear you haven't given up on the dream, I'm sure you'll get there soon.

Good luck:wink:
Old Aug 3rd 2002, 8:35 pm
ndaltonb

Mike Karen,

Resubmit asap with the state sponsorship and thumb your nose at them . Go for it and best of luck with the fast track.

Rooting for ya

Nigel db

Old Aug 3rd 2002, 10:30 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

> If someone can correct me, please do, but from all the info on
> the Net and info packs I do not recall any thing about Deeming
> dates from your trade recognition.

This deeming date issue isn't defined properly on any of the DIMIA booklets. Neither is it clearly spelt out on any of the skills assessing authorities' guidelines or websites. It remains one of the most important "unpublished" rules of the Aussie skilled migration system. Sorry to hear you got caught out by it. Here's one URL that at least attempts to address the issue: http://www.iscah.com/newsletter46.htm
The funny thing is that even some migration agents are totally unaware of the deeming date, and advise their clients to proceed even before the 12 months are up.

> I am really annoyed in the fact I had to wait in limbo land for 14
> month's, when my application should have been refused at the
> first hurdle.

Well, DIMIA is superbly efficient when it comes to taking your money. I got my credit card charged in slightly more than 1 week after submitting my application. But I guess they just open your application to look for your card details, then stuff it back where it came from right after that.

Now that you know 100% that the deeming date won't bother you, go for it and good luck!

Cheers,
Peter
Old Aug 4th 2002, 1:20 am
Jaj

Mike Sorry to hear about that. You're not the first person to fall foul of the
deeming date regulations.

Your best option is to apply again to Adelaide, and with your STNI sponsorship it
should go through quite quickly. As long as you're under 45 this option is open to
you. Make sure your TRA assessment is still valid, though, I'm not sure how long
they're normally valid for (that varies between skill assessing bodies).

Better luck second time around.

Jeremy

>On 3 Aug 2002 17:20:17 GMT, Mike &amp; karen <[email protected]> wrote: Hi All
    >
    >What a rollercoaster of a week. On Monday received an e-mail from STNI Victoria
    >saying we have been accepted for State Sponsorship and AHC London would be informed
    >to process my application. Fantastic news.
    >
    >On Friday received a phone call from AHC London saying my application could be
    >rejected. So after submitting my application in May 2001 and waiting in limbo land
    >for 14 month's, my application is deemed invalid. WHY !!!!!!!!!
    >
    >Well the reason being, is because of my deeming date from my trade recognition, I
    >don't make the 'Basic Requirements' with regards to work experience. Basic
    >requirements requires you that you are:
    >
    >Under 45 Yrs of age = Pass Fluent in English = Pass Trade recognised = Pass Work
    >experience = Fail (You need 12 month's out of 18 work experience, after your
    >Deeming Date)
    >
    >If someone can correct me, please do, but from all the info on the Net and info
    >packs I do not recall any thing about Deeming dates from your trade recognition.
    >
    >The Basic Requirements require you to have 12 out of 18 month's work experience from
    >your Deeming Date. You can only lodge your application 12 month's after your Deeming
    >date. So beware if you have lodged your application with in the 12 month's after
    >your Deeming date, you will be rejected. I applied 2 month's after my Deeming date.
    >
    >I am really annoyed in the fact I had to wait in limbo land for 14 month's, when my
    >application should have been refused at the first hurdle. It only came to light
    >because of my State Sponsorship, other wise I would of had to wait 20 month's only
    >to be told my application was being rejected.
    >
    >But after all that, there is light at the end of the tunnel and actually they done
    >me a favour.
    >
    >I shall look in to resubmitting my application, now I have the Basic Requirements
    >and the State Sponsorship. My application can be prioritised and should take 4/6
    >month's. 'Should' being the operative word. So I will be in the time frame of 20
    >month's which AHC London have quoted.
    >
    >Mike & Karen
    >
    >
    >
    >--

Old Aug 4th 2002, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

Mike & karen is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All

Thanks everybody for your replies.
It really makes the difference when you have got some support.
As you can imagon, I was in a state of shock on Friday. But I am glad it was the weekend as I have had time to think of a new stratety. Determination is my middle name.

Mike & Karen
Old Aug 5th 2002, 11:20 am
George Lombard

Hi Peter,

The deeming date issue is familiar to anyone who has ever seen a TRA or ACS or AIM
assessment. Adelaide has chosen to be more rigorous than most (but not all) of the
pre-November 2001 assessing posts.

The point is, of course, that for these three assessing bodies you only qualify by
completing some years in the occupation, and the date they specify is the
important date.

Cheers

George Lombard

www.austimmigration.com.au ptlabs wrote in message
<[email protected]>...
    >> If someone can correct me, please do, but from all the info on the Net and info
    >> packs I do not recall any thing about Deeming dates from your trade recognition.
    >
    >This deeming date issue isn't defined properly on any of the DIMIA booklets. Neither
    >is it clearly spelt out on any of the skills assessing authorities' guidelines or
    >websites. It remains one of the most important "unpublished" rules of the Aussie
    >skilled migration system. Sorry to hear you got caught out by it. Here's one URL
    >that at least attempts to address the issue: http://www.iscah.com/newsletter46.htm
    >The funny thing is that even some migration agents are totally unaware of the
    >deeming date, and advise their clients to proceed even before the 12 months are up.
    >
    >
    >> I am really annoyed in the fact I had to wait in limbo land for 14 month's, when
    >> my application should have been refused at the first hurdle.
    >
    >Well, DIMIA is superbly efficient when it comes to taking your money. I got my
    >credit card charged in slightly more than 1 week after submitting my application.
    >But I guess they just open your application to look for your card details, then
    >stuff it back where it came from right after that.
    >
    >
    >Now that you know 100% that the deeming date won't bother you, go for it and
    >good luck!
    >
    >
    >Cheers, Peter
    >
    >
    >
    >--

Old Aug 5th 2002, 8:05 pm
Paul

The deeming date worries me a bit now - having seven years experience in my field
(systems management), I only passed my MCSE last December. Do the years previous to
December now not count?

Paul

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (George
Lombard) wrote:

> Hi Peter,
    > The deeming date issue is familiar to anyone who has ever seen a TRA or ACS or AIM
    > assessment. Adelaide has chosen to be more rigorous than most (but not all) of the
    > pre-November 2001 assessing posts.
    > The point is, of course, that for these three assessing bodies you only qualify by
    > completing some years in the occupation, and the date they specify is the
    > important date.
    > Cheers
    > George Lombard
    > www.austimmigration.com.au ptlabs
    > wrote in message <[email protected]>...
    > >> If someone can correct me, please do, but from all the info on the
    > > Net
    > >> and info packs I do not recall any thing about Deeming dates from
    > > your
    > >> trade recognition.
    > >
    > >This deeming date issue isn't defined properly on any of the DIMIA booklets.
    > >Neither is it clearly spelt out on any of the skills
    > assessing
    > >authorities' guidelines or websites. It remains one of the most important
    > >"unpublished" rules of the Aussie skilled migration system. Sorry to hear you
    > >got caught out by it. Here's one URL that at least attempts to address the
    > >issue: http://www.iscah.com/newsle-
    > >tter46.htm

> The
    > >funny thing is that even some migration agents are totally unaware of the deeming
    > >date, and advise their clients to proceed even before the
    > 12
    > >months are up.
    > >
    > >
    > >> I am really annoyed in the fact I had to wait in limbo land for 14 month's, when
    > >> my application should have been refused at the first hurdle.
    > >
    > >Well, DIMIA is superbly efficient when it comes to taking your money. I got my
    > >credit card charged in slightly more than 1 week after submitting my application.
    > >But I guess they just open your application to look for your card details, then
    > >stuff it back where it came from right after that.
    > >
    > >
    > >Now that you know 100% that the deeming date won't bother you, go for
    > it
    > >and good luck!
    > >
    > >
    > >Cheers, Peter
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >--
    > >

Paul

Old Aug 7th 2002, 6:04 am
George Lombard

Hi Paul,

>The deeming date worries me a bit now - having seven years experience in my field
    >(systems management), I only passed my MCSE last December. Do the years previous to
    >December now not count?

I would consider doing an RPL assessment in such a case.

Cheers

George Lombard

www.austimmigration.com.au

Old Aug 7th 2002, 6:42 am
Chris Eden

Hello George, like a few people I imagine, this thread has given me a bit of a panic.
I am just about to send off for my skills assessment to ACS, and now I am in some
doubt as to whether my experience will be enough, because one year of it came in the
middle of my university diploma.

Briefly I have an HND in computer science which I believe is the direct equivalent of
an Australian diploma. The problem is that one of my three years work experience in
that field was obtained in the middle of my course (having taken a year out during my
study). That leaves me with only two years experience since qualifying.

I know it is probably a difficult question to give a single answer to, but do you
think it is likely that ACS will assess me positively, or will they write off my
first year of experience by giving me a deeming date after I graduated?

Sorry about the somewhat panicked question, any help would be greatly appreciated

Chris Eden

"George Lombard" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi Peter,
    > The deeming date issue is familiar to anyone who has ever seen a TRA or
ACS
    > or AIM assessment. Adelaide has chosen to be more rigorous than most (but not all)
    > of the pre-November 2001 assessing posts.
    > The point is, of course, that for these three assessing bodies you only qualify by
    > completing some years in the occupation, and the date they specify is the
    > important date.
    > Cheers
    > George Lombard
    > www.austimmigration.com.au ptlabs
    > wrote in message <[email protected]>...
    > >> If someone can correct me, please do, but from all the info on the Net and info
    > >> packs I do not recall any thing about Deeming dates from your trade recognition.
    > >
    > >This deeming date issue isn't defined properly on any of the DIMIA booklets.
    > >Neither is it clearly spelt out on any of the skills assessing authorities'
    > >guidelines or websites. It remains one of the most important "unpublished" rules
    > >of the Aussie skilled migration system. Sorry to hear you got caught out by it.
    > >Here's one URL that at least attempts to address the issue: http://www.iscah.com/newsletter46.htm The funny
    > >thing is that even some migration agents are totally unaware of the deeming date,
    > >and advise their clients to proceed even before the 12 months are up.
    > >
    > >
    > >> I am really annoyed in the fact I had to wait in limbo land for 14 month's, when
    > >> my application should have been refused at the first hurdle.
    > >
    > >Well, DIMIA is superbly efficient when it comes to taking your money. I got my
    > >credit card charged in slightly more than 1 week after submitting my application.
    > >But I guess they just open your application to look for your card details, then
    > >stuff it back where it came from right after that.
    > >
    > >
    > >Now that you know 100% that the deeming date won't bother you, go for it and
    > >good luck!
    > >
    > >
    > >Cheers, Peter
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >--
    > >

Old Aug 7th 2002, 9:05 am
Paul

Any idea where the deeming date is documented? I've searched through all the
documents I've downloaded from the immigration web site and can't find the word
'deeming'. Thanks.

Also, you say

> I applied 2 month's after my Deeming date.

Was that your full visa application or your skills assessment application? By the
time my skills assessment comes back it will be > 12 months experience for me (but
currently it's 9 months).

Thanks,

Paul

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Mike &amp;
karen) wrote:

> Hi All
    > What a rollercoaster of a week. On Monday received an e-mail from STNI Victoria
    > saying we have been accepted for State Sponsorship and AHC London would be informed
    > to process my application. Fantastic news.
    > On Friday received a phone call from AHC London saying my application could be
    > rejected. So after submitting my application in May 2001 and waiting in limbo land
    > for 14 month's, my application is deemed invalid. WHY !!!!!!!!!
    > Well the reason being, is because of my deeming date from my trade recognition, I
    > don't make the 'Basic Requirements' with regards to work experience. Basic
    > requirements requires you that you are:
    > Under 45 Yrs of age = Pass Fluent in English = Pass Trade recognised = Pass Work
    > experience = Fail (You need 12 month's out of 18 work experience, after your
    > Deeming Date)
    > If someone can correct me, please do, but from all the info on the Net and info
    > packs I do not recall any thing about Deeming dates from your trade recognition.
    > The Basic Requirements require you to have 12 out of 18 month's work experience
    > from your Deeming Date. You can only lodge your application 12 month's after your
    > Deeming date. So beware if you have lodged your application with in the 12 month's
    > after your Deeming date, you will be rejected. I applied 2 month's after my
    > Deeming date.
    > I am really annoyed in the fact I had to wait in limbo land for 14 month's, when my
    > application should have been refused at the first hurdle. It only came to light
    > because of my State Sponsorship, other wise I would of had to wait 20 month's only
    > to be told my application was being rejected.
    > But after all that, there is light at the end of the tunnel and actually they done
    > me a favour.
    > I shall look in to resubmitting my application, now I have the Basic Requirements
    > and the State Sponsorship. My application can be prioritised and should take 4/6
    > month's. 'Should' being the operative word. So I will be in the time frame of 20
    > month's which AHC London have quoted.
    > Mike & Karen
    > --