CAIPS Notes?

Old Aug 12th 2002, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

Bushbaby is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CAIPS Notes?

Hi,

I wonder if anyone might be able to give me some additional information regarding "CAIPS Notes" that I have been reading about on this forum?

I gather that this is a more detailed way to find out about the status of our application rather than using the eclient, which in our case permanently tells us that no information is currently available!

1. Who runs the "CAIPS Notes" service?

2. How long does it take to acquire the information?

3. How do we go about applying for the information?

4. How long does it take to obtain the information?

5. If we decided to apply for "CAIPS Notes" would the Immigration office that we applied through be aware of this and if they were aware would this jeopardise our application in any way?

6. If this is such a useful service, as people seem to be suggesting, why don't more people seem to know about it or use it?

Hope someone out there can advise.
Regards.
:PARTY:
Old Aug 12th 2002, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

bighead is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: CAIPS Notes?

Originally posted by Bushbaby:
Hi,

I wonder if anyone might be able to give me some additional information regarding "CAIPS Notes" that I have been reading about on this forum?

I gather that this is a more detailed way to find out about the status of our application rather than using the eclient, which in our case permanently tells us that no information is currently available!

1. Who runs the "CAIPS Notes" service?

2. How long does it take to acquire the information?

3. How do we go about applying for the information?

4. How long does it take to obtain the information?

5. If we decided to apply for "CAIPS Notes" would the Immigration office that we applied through be aware of this and if they were aware would this jeopardise our application in any way?

6. If this is such a useful service, as people seem to be suggesting, why don't more people seem to know about it or use it?

Hope someone out there can advise.
Regards.
:PARTY:
1. caips stands for "computer assisted immigration processing system", its a system used by CIC to process immigrant and non immigrant applications.

2. usual turnaround time is 30 days.

3. not everyone can get the info. only canadian citizens and certain classes of non citizens who are in canada may obtain the information. it is protected by the privacy act of canada.

4. see 2.

5. no and no, provided you just ask for a printout from the notes on the system, and not the whole paper file which would actually probably delay processing your application, as the paperfile would be with the visa office, and transferring a copy of it to canada would be time consuming.

6. lots of people know about it, the reason not many people use it is because the caips notes are fairly cryptic, and there is no set standard of notation used. its case specific, and the acronyms used are vague. plus it dosnt give you a whole lot of information. the only condition when it is useful is if there is a problem with your application, or if its taking too long outside of the service standards or if you were called for an interview and want to know why. if its within standard timelines, you got an interview waiver etc, then getting the caips notes is pointless.

you can go to

http://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/infosource/...-Brochr_e.html

to get information on how to get your personal information from the federal govt. the department in this case would be the CIC.
Old Aug 12th 2002, 9:33 pm
Ron Beirnes

Default Re: CAIPS Notes?

On 12 Aug 2002 15:05:01 GMT, Bushbaby <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi,
    >I wonder if anyone might be able to give me some additional information regarding
    >"CAIPS Notes" that I have been reading about on this forum?
    >I gather that this is a more detailed way to find out about the status of our
    >application rather than using the eclient, which in our case permanently tells us
    >that no information is currently available!
    >1. Who runs the "CAIPS Notes" service?
The CAIPS (computerized assisted immigration processing system) are the processing
system notes for the overseas offices.
    >2. How long does it take to acquire the information?
It is an ogoing process, the visa officer records the information regarding the case
in a computer base, when it was received, points on paper screening, information
about the documentation submitted and any concerns that must be raised at the
selection interview, information about medicals and the payment of the variouus fees.
    >3. How do we go about applying for the information?
If you are a CC or PR you can apply directly to the Privacy Commissioner in Ottawa or
have your immigration agent do it on your behalf.
    >4. How long does it take to obtain the information?
Currently the Privacy office is taking about 4 - 6 weeks to provide the offices notes
however if you want copies of the documentation submitted it is taking at least
another 2 months.
    >5. If we decided to apply for "CAIPS Notes" would the Immigration office that we
    > applied through be aware of this and if they were aware would this jeopardise our
    > application in any way?
The visa office is notified electronically that you have requested the file and no it
will not jeopardise the application.
    >6. If this is such a useful service, as people seem to be suggesting, why don't more
    > people seem to know about it or use it? It is very useful to determine the status
    > of your case and to determine if the visa
office has any concerns relative to the application. People do not utilize the
service as it is restricted to those individuals mentioned above.

Ron Beirnes
R.B. Global Immigration Consultants Ltd. 1540-1100 Melville St. Vancouver, BC V6E 4A6
Phone (604) 688-3081 fax 688-3015 email [email protected] Webb page
http://www3.telus.net/rbglobal
    >Hope someone out there can advise. Regards. :PARTY:
    >--
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Aug 13th 2002, 12:41 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Re: CAIPS Notes?

Originally posted by bighead:

1. caips stands for "computer assisted immigration processing system", its a system used by CIC to process immigrant and non immigrant applications.

2. usual turnaround time is 30 days.

3. not everyone can get the info. only canadian citizens and certain classes of non citizens who are in canada may obtain the information. it is protected by the privacy act of canada.

4. see 2.

5. no and no, provided you just ask for a printout from the notes on the system, and not the whole paper file which would actually probably delay processing your application, as the paperfile would be with the visa office, and transferring a copy of it to canada would be time consuming.

6. lots of people know about it, the reason not many people use it is because the caips notes are fairly cryptic, and there is no set standard of notation used. its case specific, and the acronyms used are vague. plus it dosnt give you a whole lot of information. the only condition when it is useful is if there is a problem with your application, or if its taking too long outside of the service standards or if you were called for an interview and want to know why. if its within standard timelines, you got an interview waiver etc, then getting the caips notes is pointless.

you can go to

http://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/infosource/...-Brochr_e.html

to get information on how to get your personal information from the federal govt. the department in this case would be the CIC.
THANK YOU FOR THE REPLY. VERY HELPFUL.
Old Aug 13th 2002, 12:43 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Re: CAIPS Notes?

Originally posted by Ron Beirnes:
On 12 Aug 2002 15:05:01 GMT, Bushbaby <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi,
    >I wonder if anyone might be able to give me some additional information regarding
    >"CAIPS Notes" that I have been reading about on this forum?
    >I gather that this is a more detailed way to find out about the status of our
    >application rather than using the eclient, which in our case permanently tells us
    >that no information is currently available!
    >1. Who runs the "CAIPS Notes" service?
The CAIPS (computerized assisted immigration processing system) are the processing
system notes for the overseas offices.
    >2. How long does it take to acquire the information?
It is an ogoing process, the visa officer records the information regarding the case
in a computer base, when it was received, points on paper screening, information
about the documentation submitted and any concerns that must be raised at the
selection interview, information about medicals and the payment of the variouus fees.
    >3. How do we go about applying for the information?
If you are a CC or PR you can apply directly to the Privacy Commissioner in Ottawa or
have your immigration agent do it on your behalf.
    >4. How long does it take to obtain the information?
Currently the Privacy office is taking about 4 - 6 weeks to provide the offices notes
however if you want copies of the documentation submitted it is taking at least
another 2 months.
    >5. If we decided to apply for "CAIPS Notes" would the Immigration office that we
    > applied through be aware of this and if they were aware would this jeopardise our
    > application in any way?
The visa office is notified electronically that you have requested the file and no it
will not jeopardise the application.
    >6. If this is such a useful service, as people seem to be suggesting, why don't more
    > people seem to know about it or use it? It is very useful to determine the status
    > of your case and to determine if the visa
office has any concerns relative to the application. People do not utilize the
service as it is restricted to those individuals mentioned above.

Ron Beirnes
R.B. Global Immigration Consultants Ltd. 1540-1100 Melville St. Vancouver, BC V6E 4A6
Phone (604) 688-3081 fax 688-3015 email [email protected] Webb page
http://www3.telus.net/rbglobal
    >Hope someone out there can advise. Regards. :PARTY:
    >--
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com
THANKS FOR THE INFO RON. VERY USEFUL.